Car Accident? What to Do Next
By seriousl March 21, 2022
Getting into a car accident can initially leave you stunned and wondering what happened. Once you have recovered from the initial shock of the auto accident, it is essential to follow the proper steps to ensure everyone is safe, receives the medical care needed, and has everything required to file a claim with the insurance company. The New York car accident lawyers at Poissant, Nichols, Grue, Vanier & Babbie understand how devastating and shocking a car accident can be. They are there to help you know what to do in the moments following an auto accident.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
After being involved in an auto accident, the first thing to do is to check yourself for injuries, then check on the well-being of your passengers and of others involved in the accident. Next, make sure you are in a safe area along the side of the road or a sidewalk and call for assistance from 911. If not injured, while waiting for help to arrive, write down everything you can remember about the accident, take photos, and exchange information with the other uninjured parties. Information gathered should include everyone’s full name, contact information, insurance company and policy number, driver’s license and plate number, and the location of the accident.
Finally, it would help if you let your insurance company know about the accident to start the claims process. However, it might be best to seek advice from New York personal injury attorneys to ensure you do not hinder your chances of receiving total compensation.
What Not to Do After an Auto Accident
In addition to the many things that should be done after an auto accident, several things should not be done. It is best to no do the following items after a car accident:
- Do not leave the scene of an accident. Wait at the location for the police to document the accident and to ensure no one was injured. Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal and could hurt your case and claim with the insurance company.
- Do not forget to call the police. It can be nerve-wracking to be involved in an accident, and sometimes the other driver wants to avoid having the police called. Calling the police helps you establish a paper documentation trail surrounding the accident.
- Do not apologize or admit fault. Apologizing at the accident scene could label you as the person at fault when you were not. It is a natural human tendency to say “I’m sorry” when they see another person having a bad experience but do everything possible to resist apologizing at the scene of an accident.
- Do not refuse medical attention. Though you may not be feeling any pain or discomfort due to an adrenaline rush, you never want to refuse medical attention after an auto accident. If you go home after an accident and start to feel pain or ill, go to the emergency room, call your doctor or call 911 for medical attention.
- Do not forget to collect all evidence and information. It may be a crazy time in the moments after an auto accident, but you do not want to forget to have all the information and evidence needed to file a claim or case.
- Do not forget to file a collision report or insurance claim promptly. Check with your insurance company or New York car accident attorney to see when the deadline to file a claim or report is.
- Do not speak with the insurance company without speaking with a New York auto accident attorney first. Speaking with an attorney first helps ensure you do not say anything that could hurt your chances of receiving maximum benefits from the accident.
How a Car Accident Attorney New York Can Help
Bad car accidents injuries can leave you wondering if you have done everything necessary after an auto accident. An auto accident lawyer no injury can help you file your claim with the insurance companies, and if there are injuries, help coordinate your medical care. The attorney can also represent you in court to file a personal injury claim against another person or defend you against a personal injury claim.
If you have been involved in an auto accident, do not hesitate to call the attorneys at Poissant, Nichols, Grue, Vanier & Babbie. We are dedicated and experienced in helping you every step of the way after a car accident.